Why Obama deserves the Nobel Peace Prize

There has been some dispute as to whether President Obama deserves the Nobel Peace Prize or not. Yet, there should be no hesitation in saying that President Obama has made efforts and inspiring speeches of further actions he will take as the leader of our country. The Nobel Prize committee has awarded the president, who is currently the fourth president to have received the prize, due to his plans for a future of a nuclear weapon-free world and his plans to solve global problems. In a speech that he made in Prague, Czech Republic during the month of April, the president had made known his plans to cooperate with Iran and collaborate with other nations as a part of UN to eventually rid the use of nuclear energy except for peaceful, non-weapon purposes.

Many people have also disapproved of the decision of presenting the president with the prize because of the fact that he has not taken any action corresponding to his speeches. But he had mentioned that it would take time to work through and accomplish all of the objectives. These are not matters that can be achieved easily.

In addition, the Nobel Prize Committee has also given President Obama this award as a result in belief of further production during his time in office. This award can be seen as a sign of support for Obama in that his decisions and goals will be followed through. The major point that influenced this decision was how President Obama gives hope and inspiration throughout the world by his plans to be more united worldwide.

The Nobel Peace Prize, in a way, also ensures President Obama’s progression. Some people may argue that the prize was given too early but it shows how he will contribute later on as he carries on his promises. Specifically the prize was focused on his approach to direct attention on global problems involving negotiation, climate change, strengthening international diplomacy, along with the major focus, getting rid of nuclear weapons.

As President Obama humbly mentioned as he received the prize, “And that is why I will accept this award as a call to action, a call for all nations to confront the common challenges of the 21st Century.” (timesofindia.indiatimes.com)