The Mysterious Affliction

According to a study done by Omniscient in 2012, 78% of all high school seniors in the United States admitted to experiencing Senioritis to some degree.
Art/Photo by Jack Moreh from StockVault

Drowsing off in class. Missing deadlines. Slowly withdrawing from caring about day-to-day activities. These are all possible symptoms of the mysterious affliction known as senioritis, but what exactly is it, and what’s causing it?

Like many real illnesses, senioritis can vary quite a bit from person to person. Some experience early onset symptoms as promptly as Junior year, while for others, it doesn’t come on until late in Senior year. Regardless, the peculiar affliction seems to emerge primarily during the last two years of high school — and quite abruptly, too — which in itself seems strange. After about thirteen years of education, you’d think senioritis is something that builds up slowly over time — perhaps as early as middle school, even. But for some reason, it’s only observed in upperclassmen. 

Megan Charan (12), a Senior already feeling the strong effects of senioritis, explained that it came on gradually for her: “Over the years, you kind of just get tired of high school and just being here all the time, and the monotony of the year as it goes on . . . I think Senior year it really kicks up because you’re anticipating leaving and you just know you have nothing much [here] anymore.” Charan described senioritis as “the gradual decline of interest” and the constant contemplation of “do I really need to come?” 

Which is a valid question for some. Although some Seniors choose heavier workloads with difficult classes, others tend to choose lighter classes than they have in previous years. Why? Because, as Charan described, they’re very nearly done. Although there may be a few classes Seniors need to take for graduation requirements, there may not be much more high school can add to their education. At least, that’s how senioritis makes it feel.

However, senioritis may not be all bad. Jodie Cheng (12), another Senior feeling the effects of the affliction, described her experience as one that made her treasure the social part of high school more: “I feel like it’s made me more open to talking to people . . . honestly, I come for more of the people than the actual classwork.”

Regardless of whether you’re a Junior or Senior, dreading the day graduation comes or counting down to it, you’re not alone in the complicated feelings surrounding Senior year.