The Advanced and Honorable Struggle

Wrapping all these textbooks is the easy part — get ready for whats inside when you open them.

Ethan Verderber, Writer

A staple of high school culture has long been the presence of AP and Honors classes, as well as their impact on student life. For many students, whole days are consumed by high demands of these courses. In the face of gargantuan amounts of difficult work, many people question the reason to bother with any of these challenging subjects. 

The general answers about the virtues of hard work can be annoyingly repetitive, so hearing the specific reasons for every scholastic endeavor is incredibly important for one’s motivation. Luckily, the veterans of these classes have given us the answers. 

Aditya Battula (11), a dedicated student of AP Computer Science Principles, gave us an insight into his motivation. The class is hard, he said, because “you cannot memorize it. You have to understand each and every code that needs to be put in place.” This demand of specific solutions to specific problems poses a unique challenge. Luckily, though, these same difficulties teach a great lesson. AP Computer Science students can learn how to treat every problem for its unique nature and develop specific and effective solutions.

Quickly shifting gears, we find ourselves looking at a niche class at West—AP Music Theory. Noel Drouillet (12) revealed her experience exploring the backbones of music. As a choir student for three years, she was more prepared than others for the course, but the diligence needed to master the skills was still a quality that needed to be learned. It’s worth it for her, though: “I really love everything about music. Sometimes tasks can be difficult, but challenges only present added opportunity for growth,” she explained, and the source of her motivation becomes clear—a distinct love for the arts. 

Lastly, we have Emily Hackett (12) with AP English Literature. Emily confirmed the high demand in grammar, (some people’s greatest fears about the course,) yet also gave an uplifting reason to enroll: “The good part about coming into class every day is that I know I’m going to walk out with a broadened worldview,” which is something every single student should seek. While the obvious challenge of precision writing, as well as presenting relevant and deep thoughts can make this class a puzzle, the ways the world changes under your eye will be well worth it.

That’s all education is, really — challenging your brain to look at the world in a new way that works for you. Figure something out and pay it forward, make that work easier for someone else. It’s the best way to make the world a better place, in the long run.