Get Your Voice Heard in the Student Elections!

Art/Photo by Katelyn Baba
To get votes for the upcoming election, many candidates have to advertise themselves to their peers. Candidates made their posters in an unique way so that their poster stands out from the rest.

Amidst all the elections happening in the nation, West High had its own for the upcoming school year’s Associated Student Body (ASB). On Thursday, Apr. 11, Warriors voted for students they considered the most qualified for several positions in ASB. The weeklong campaign witnessed candidates racing to post their flyers around campus to convince their peers to vote for them.

But what inspired these hopeful candidates to run for an ASB position? Justin Hernando (11), one candidate for Secretary of Athletics, mainly ran due to his new ideas for West’s athletics department. These included “better games for the Olympics [and] helping out with better senior nights.” If he won the election, one of the first things he would do is “when school starts back up, I basically [would] help prep ball sports.” 

Another candidate, Angelina Sun (10), who was running for Junior Vice President, outlined her hopes “to get more involved in school… and also to work with people.”  Since the President and Vice President run on the same ticket during West’s elections, fellow candidate Chelsea Lee (10) was a clear option for Sun since “she’s a really nice person to work with and we also have this kind of personal bond outside of ASB,” Sun stated.

The Results:

On Friday, the 24–25 ASB Election results were announced: the ASB President will be Angie Quiroz (11) with Hannah Takasaki (11) as ASB Vice President. The Senior Class President and Vice President will be Zara Simon (11) and Mia Hiraiwa (11) respectively. The Junior Class President and Vice President will be Chelsea Lee (10) and Angelina Sun (10), and for the Sophomore Class, the President and Vice President will be Chelsea Nguyen (9) and Dene Martinez (9). The elected secretaries include Katie Moore (10) for Secretary of Athletics and Adxel Tapangan (11) for Secretary of Fine Arts, with appointed secretaries (via an interview process) including Chase Witzansky (11) for Secretary of Business, Jacob Benavente (11) for Secretary of Communications, Julia Downing (11) for Secretary of Correspondence, Sriya Sthothrabhashyam (11) for Secretary of ICC, Cammi Merendo (11) for Secretary of Spirit, Kyungsan Kim (11) for Secretary of of Multimedia, and Tiffany Chang (11) for Secretary of Publicity. The positions of class historians and the cabinet have yet to be announced.