FBLA: West High’s Young Business Leaders

Art/Photo by FBLA
FBLA competing members gather for a group photo at their State Leadership Conference on April 12. Held in Anaheim, schools across the state of California gathered to compete and qualify for the national conference in the near future.

At West High, there are numerous clubs and school organizations to be a part of, including: from culture clubs to volunteer clubs, there’s a wide gamut for students to explore. One group, however, stands out in particular for those interested in business, looking to gain real world experience, and meeting others across the country with similar goals: West High’s Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA). 

FBLA hosts weekly meetings to learn about different business skills. During the program year, which began in August and stretched into third quarter, club members met on Tuesdays in Mrs. Burt’s room 4103 to plan events. Competing members are required to study for objective events and take tests that vary anywhere from 50 to 100 questions. Students then have the chance to display their hard work at regional, state, even national events. 

The competitive team recently completed their state qualifiers where they engaged in instructive workshops and other competitions with other schools. Returning member and FBLA Treasurer Mason Fontana (11) described, “At those workshops we learn valuable lessons and get advice from professionals who are successful in the field.” Fontana also relayed how the team’s diligence “paid off” as two  FBLA members qualified for the upcoming national conference.

Many events like this one often require an overnight stay between hotels. Reminiscing on his favorite part of the FBLA experience, competing member Ishank Lolge (11) recalled the “lasting and enjoyable memories” he’s made from various different events. “The combination of both having freedom in the hotels and competing with my friends makes the whole experience super fun,” Lolge said of recent competitions. Evidently, the community that FBLA fosters is a warm one with countless benefits. Fontana explained, “Participating in competitive events helps me apply my knowledge in real-world scenarios and being around peers whose interests are similar to mine has brought me many great friends and career choices for my future.”

Chase Witzansky (11), the incoming President of FBLA for next school year, strongly encouraged students to join the club. Witzansky elaborated on his aspirations to pursue business in college,  expressing how FBLA “fills a gap for a lot of [high school students] who are interested in business. Witzansky also elucidated how his favorite part of  FBLA was the cherished connections he made with other high school FBLA students across the country: “Not every person can say that they have friends in a different state, like I actually do have friends from places like Washington D.C.”

All of the weekly club meetings and competitions that FBLA offers provide both real-world experience and an enjoyable time with classmates, enhancing the high school experience. FBLA is a great community to be a part of on campus for students with a passion for business or simply a genuine interest. As Fontana said, the ultimate goal of West High’s FBLA is “preparing students for successful futures in a supportive environment.”