A24’s First Blockbuster Breakout of 2024: Here’s Why You Should See It

Art/Photo by Freepik
Alex Garland’s Civil War was a blockbuster hit. Sitting at the top of the box office for the second straight weekend, this is the largest debut that production studio A24 has had for a film yet.

In a time of tension both inside and outside of the United States, it’s best that we caution ourselves to the uncertain future and its outcomes. And in an all too timely manner, a movie has arrived that perfectly encapsulates the growing fears that we should be addressing. Civil War, A24’s blockbuster hit, just arrived in theatres this weekend and is already the largest debut for a film that the production company has ever had.

The film, directed by Alex Garland, takes place in a near-future America, where the states of California, Florida, and Texas are in a civil war against the rest of the United States government. The film is “a kind of disturbing look into a possible future” says Mason McClain (12), who saw it on opening night. McClain explained that if there’s anybody who’s even slightly interested in journalism or just looking for an edge-of-your-seat action thriller, “this movie is right for you.” The film is told through the lens of a war photojournalist, which puts a unique spin on the typical ‘war movie’ trope that we often see in these types of movies.

Apart from its distinct appeal to action fans and aspiring journalists, Garland’s film is “all around a must-see based on the time period we’re living in” states Alexa Danielle. Danielle, who did press for the film, can’t express enough the significance of this film coming out when it did: “With the wars going on in Russia and the Middle East — Garland’s film serves more as a cautionary tale against war that I think is important for a larger audience to see.” Films like this stand out as significant due to the timely messages they intend to deliver to their audience. Grace Delaney (12), a massive fan of A24 films, explains, “More than just a good film, its themes are poignant, and I’m sure, for better or worse, that they’ll resonate with a lot of people right now.”