The highly coveted Oscar trophies illuminate on the display ahead of the 96th Academy Awards. This year, late-night comedian Jimmy Kimmel reprised his role as host.
The 2024 Oscars: A Bold Year for Film
Anthony Parker, Entertainment & News Editor • March 28, 2024
In a surprising move to many, West Capitaneus, the school yearbook publication, will be discontinuing the popular, longstanding tradition of senior quotes. Citing logistical concerns, the West High administration has maintained this restriction, prompting petition by nearly a quarter of the student body.
Say Goodbye to Senior Quotes
Cyrilla Zhang, Editor-in-Chief • March 21, 2024

Warrior Football: Starting out Strong

Photo Credits: Gillian Navarro
Photo Credits: Gillian Navarro

On Friday September 5th, 2014, the West  Warriors took on the visiting Culver City Centaurs in game one of the 2014 season. West would go on to beat Culver City with a final score of 51 to 13. The Warriors now owning a record of 1-0, came out with a victory and a strong start to their season.

By the end of the first quarter, the Warriors scored an overwhelming total of 30 points while the Centaurs only scored 6 points. With a strong lead, West was able to keep pressing offensively and hold their large lead over Culver City. “[We] started off kind of rough, but turned it around and started making touchdown after touchdown,” said Teryn Williams (10). The strong Warrior defense prevented the Centaurs from scoring any points in the third and fourth quarters.

Offensive Player of the Game, Brett Ojiyi (12) scored a total of 5 touchdowns for the Warriors. Defensive Player of the Game, Benton Shortridge (12) also had two interceptions for touchdowns during the game. As a team, West demonstrated its ability and strength. “I think the game went according to plan. We prepared ourselves both mentally and physically. We conditioned all summer and when it came to executing our game plan, our preparation paid off,” said quarterback and defensive end Matthew Doty (12).

On Friday, September 12 West will play their next game when they host Inglewood for game two of the season. In regards to future games, wide receiver Tyler Taggart (12) commented, “our defense is solid and should be able to stop all the teams we play. There are a lot of talented athletes on both sides of the ball, making it dangerous if we use all our threats on the field.”