The highly coveted Oscar trophies illuminate on the display ahead of the 96th Academy Awards. This year, late-night comedian Jimmy Kimmel reprised his role as host.
The 2024 Oscars: A Bold Year for Film
Anthony Parker, Entertainment & News Editor • March 28, 2024
In a surprising move to many, West Capitaneus, the school yearbook publication, will be discontinuing the popular, longstanding tradition of senior quotes. Citing logistical concerns, the West High administration has maintained this restriction, prompting petition by nearly a quarter of the student body.
Say Goodbye to Senior Quotes
Cyrilla Zhang, Editor-in-Chief • March 21, 2024

Celebrating Senior Night for the Wrestling Warriors

Ethan+Rogers+%2812%29%2C+post-wrestling-match%2C+shares+a+triumphant+moment+with+his+family.+With+smiles+written+across+their+faces%2C+this+encapsulated+the+pinnacle+of+Rogerss+wrestling+journey.+
Art/Photo by Michael Persh
Ethan Rogers (12), post-wrestling-match, shares a triumphant moment with his family. With smiles written across their faces, this encapsulated the pinnacle of Rogers’s wrestling journey.

A night adorned with the radiant glow of the gymnasium lights, beautiful flowers, and sincere cheers — all convened to pay homage to the six seniors of West High’s Wrestling team. Following a memorable season, the grand senior night unfolded on Wednesday, Jan. 17, marking the culmination of a wrestling odyssey and the lasting impact these seniors have imprinted on the team.

For this special event, the six seniors Daniel Barry (12), Daniel Berg (12), Enoch Joo (12), Ethan Rogers (12), Justin Lumbao (12), and Tim Hameleers (12) were recognized before their duel against Lawndale High School. After receiving applause and hugs from friends and family, Head Coach Cullinan gave a heartfelt speech for the seniors, uniquely describing the journey of each athlete. By the end of the night, West had triumphed in their duel against Lawndale, which only added to the memorability of the evening.

With the happiness of any senior night comes the powerful emotions of bittersweetness that were expressed by the program. Ali Saqebi (11), a wrestling athlete since freshman year, described his feelings as “sad but wholesome.” As Saqebi has bonded with some of the seniors over the past three years, he reminisced upon some of his favorite memories being made after practice in the locker rooms. “Everyone gets along well and we all grow together,” he shared. 

Looking back on their own journeys, some of the seniors had words of wisdom to share with younger athletes hoping to improve their wrestling skills. From his own experience, Rogers elucidated the importance of diligence and effort. He revealed, “Wrestling has a lot more to do with your technique and how long you spend trying to master it than it does with size and strength.” He clarified, “A lot of the [athletes] who win their matches are a lot smaller, faster, and more methodical.” Joo relayed a similar message, advising newer wrestlers to “hone [their] craft and work on [their] weaknesses.” He also underscored that wrestling is a “one-on-one sport, so it’s all up to [the athlete] and [wrestlers] can’t make excuses or blame others for your losses.”

In essence, West High’s wrestling program has successfully cultivated a community focused on finding pleasure in camaraderie and hard work. Saqebi openly shared how much fun he has had while being a part of the program, but also expressed how watching the seniors has “taught [him] a lot about discipline and how to overcome adversity,” making it a cornerstone for self-development.