The highly coveted Oscar trophies illuminate on the display ahead of the 96th Academy Awards. This year, late-night comedian Jimmy Kimmel reprised his role as host.
The 2024 Oscars: A Bold Year for Film
Anthony Parker, Entertainment & News Editor • March 28, 2024
In a surprising move to many, West Capitaneus, the school yearbook publication, will be discontinuing the popular, longstanding tradition of senior quotes. Citing logistical concerns, the West High administration has maintained this restriction, prompting petition by nearly a quarter of the student body.
Say Goodbye to Senior Quotes
Cyrilla Zhang, Editor-in-Chief • March 21, 2024

Rough Waters for West High Water Polo

The West High Girls Water Polo team played their first tournament of the season on Friday and Saturday, December 9th and 10th against different schools at Arcadia High School. They played a total of five games, but only won one. The victory game was against Arcadia High with a score of 10 – 6. According to Alexis Ivans (11), “The other games did not go as well because we were just getting used to playing as a team [since] we only have one varsity team and no JV or rosh-soph. So playing in [the] Varsity Tournament was difficult, but we learned a lot and were successful.”
Rei Bertoldi (12) added, “The [victory] was close; however the games that we lost were very close as well. We could have done better, but this was good for a start.” On Friday they had a bad start with the four losing games but on Saturday they got back on track by winning the last game.
The other games were close and had helped them stay in the Burbank Tournament. The scores are left unsaid; however the last game that they played and actually won was especially thanks to Hana Otsuka (11) who scored the winning goal and the crowd erupted ecstatically. As Otsuka recalled, “We were really glad that we won a game because our last winning game was in my freshmen year against culver.” The tournament was a great experience to start off this season. Otsuka put in, “We learned from each other, which players are good at this and that and what we needed to work on more.” The team does not have that many players, but are strong this season and will continue to practice hard and hopefully win more games. This was just a start for the Water Polo team and they plan to succeed in future games.