The highly coveted Oscar trophies illuminate on the display ahead of the 96th Academy Awards. This year, late-night comedian Jimmy Kimmel reprised his role as host.
The 2024 Oscars: A Bold Year for Film
Anthony Parker, Entertainment & News Editor • March 28, 2024

Warriors Shut Down Olympians

On November 12th, West’s varsity football team played its final game of the season against Bay League competitor Leuzinger High School. After an exciting Homecoming victory over Peninsula, the Warriors did not skip a beat; the defense shut down the Olympians’ line and forced a safety. The offense also thrived with running backs Ricky Sato (12) and Barry Thomas (10) scoring two touchdowns. In addition, quarterback Austin Watters (12) completed a pass to wide receiver David Rodriguez (12) for another touchdown, resulting in a final score of 23-0.

Defensive back Samuel Choi (11) believed the team was able to defeat Leuzinger because “[it did] not have too many [turnovers].” Cody Thornton (12) adds “We pulled together as a team these last two games and it reflected in the scores against [Peninsula] and Leuzinger.” In past losses the offense had several turnovers. Choi claims, “It was the last game for the seniors so we wanted to [end] with a good note.”

This year, the team finished with a record of 3 wins and 7 losses. According to Thornton, “[the season] went well, [but] not as good as anyone planned but I do not regret anything. We all played hard and never quit regardless of the score.”

Now that Thornton and other seniors, including Joshua Girardini (12) and Watters, are finished with their high school football careers, it appears that players such as Joey Notch (10) and Choi will have to carry the team next year. Choi hopes to become “a more explosive player on offense and defense” and he also acknowledges that “the team’s goal is to [enter the] playoffs” Even though they had their struggles, the Warriors have demonstrated promise for next season.