Warriors Trampled by Mustangs

Prior to the beginning of the season, several West High football players predicted they would win the conference this year. However they were on a rocky path and hoped to turn their season around against Mira Costa at home. Unfortunately, in the end, the Warriors suffered a 41-3 loss.

According to second- string quarterback Joey Notch (10), “[Costa’s] defense was very physical at the line of scrimmage and did not allow us to establish any offensive rhythm.” In fact, because of the defense, West High’s only score was a field goal with 2.6 seconds remaining. They also lost starting left guard Tommy Oslund (10) to an injury in the fourth quarter. When asked about Oslund’s absence, Notch stated, “Tommy is a starter and that is a big loss to the offensive line. Nevertheless, he got hit pretty hard, but I am sure that he will play against Redondo.” Notch also added that the team “needs a good week of practice and be ready to play against the Seahawks.” Despite the team’s shortcomings, he remains confident that they will be successful.

Wide receiver Anthony Ezeakunne (12) was also enthusiastic and explained why West has struggled this season. “Our team is very small and we have lost several [key] players due to injuries.” Later he acknowledged that, “There are several juniors, sophomores, and even a freshman (for the first time in the program’s history) on the team so we are experiencing some ‘growing pains’ as a result.” Despite these disadvantages, Ezeakunne believes that West will make the playoffs. He also added that, “The senior class has to lead and everybody needs to play their role well.” Even though the Warriors have struggled all season due to careless mistakes, their persevering belief in one another and in winning the Bay League and in one another demonstrates teamwork and spirit.