Rhythm Club Enters West High

Courtesy of Misha Hashemi

Misha Hashemi, Writer

Attention West High: a new club is on campus! If you’re interested in making music, it just might be the place for you. Rhythm Club is “a music making jam band session!” stated its advisor, Mrs. Altenberg

Its first club meeting took place on Friday, September 13 during lunch. Each subsequent meeting will be held every Friday at the same time. 

Mrs. Altenberg believes, “Everybody benefits from a good jam session, from listening to music, [to] connecting to others with similar interests and talents!” She chose to advise the club because: “I love music! I am a fan of most genres and regularly attend concerts. In fact, this weekend I’m heading to Kaaboo festival to see Kings of Leon, Snoop Dogg, Maren Morris, and so many more bands!” It’s great to see Rhythm Club advised by someone with a passion for music and a dedication to sharing this with others.

Additionally, the club is for “kids who aren’t necessarily in band but love to play the guitar or ukulele or cowbell.” David Sun (12) is one of these people. He attended the first meeting on Friday, saying, “I’m just so in love with music. It’s totally my life and I just want to express [it] to other people.” If this sounds like you, it may be your place. 

But don’t take it from me — take it from the professionals. Nina Kraus is the Hugh Knowles Professor of Communication Sciences and Neurobiology at Northwestern University and has studied how music training influences sensory processes necessary for successful communication and learning. According to her studies and many others, playing an instrument leads to neurological development! The areas of the brain that are used in processing and playing music are both structurally and functionally different in musicians compared to non-musicians. 

So, if jamming out every Friday during lunch sounds enticing, be sure to drop by room 3204! Remember to bring your own instruments, and Rhythm Club would be more than happy to have you.