Warriors Run Wild At Woodbridge Event

Jack Hogse, Staff Writer

West High Cross Country was met with stiff resistance on Friday, September 16th, when they competed at this year’s annual Woodbridge Cross Country Classic. Travelling all the way out to Silverlakes Sports Park, students from all over Southern California ran together side by side in one of the biggest Cross Country events of the season.

The West High athletes were able to return home with medals around their necks and smiles on their faces. The top five finish for Boys Varsity was testimony to that. After the race, West High’s Carson Bix (12) said, “It’s been a good week of practice, and I’m glad I can always rely on my kick near the end to help win the race.”

After the Boys Varsity, Boys juniors, and Boys sophomores all won their races with 200 points combined, they were able to pull off a nice sweep. One of our fastest juniors, Rory Abberton (11) added, “This is the most satisfied I’ve ever been with the results of a meet, aside from CIF Finals.” Then went on to say, “The next race is going to be tough, and there is a lot of pressure on the team, but I’m confident we will do well.”

For some runners, being first is the only option. Denise Pierce (10) is a sophomore who made varsity freshman year, and is one of the fastest girl runners West High has had in the last few years. She said, “I obviously want to improve, I don’t think there is any runner out there who thinks they can’t do better next time.” The Girls Varsity team finished in a very respectable fourth place.

In just two short weeks, the Varsity members of the team are going to compete in the Kansas City Metro Championships alongside the best Cross Country runners in the country.

And remember to come support West High Cross Country at the Pioneer League Meet #1 at Columbia Park on September 22nd and cheer them on to another victory!

Check out all our athlete’s results online right here.