Girls’ Basketball Advances to the State Semi-Finals

On Tuesday March 18, 2014, the Girls’ Basketball team took on El Dorado in the quarterfinal-game of the State Playoffs. Fans anxiously gathered in the West High gymnasium to see if the Warriors would continue their winning streak. With the continuous support from fans and the Whiteout student section, the Warriors were able to finish the game with a victorious score of 60-54.

The Warriors started the game out strong and ended the first quarter with a lead of 20-10. West maintained a steady lead until the third quarter of the game, where West only scored 3 points while El Dorado scored 18. By the time the fourth quarter began, the Warriors had to work even harder to maintain their lead. The natural skill and teamwork allowed the team to be successful in their play and execute the game to the best of their ability. Sarah Solieman (11) commented, “They are well trained and have a lot of experience. They are dedicated athletes and display their skills [every time they step] on the court.”

By winning the quarterfinal game, the Warriors will then advance to the State semi-finals. The team became the first Birls’ Basketball team to win a CIF Championship in West High history and they now continue to further their legacy by continuing to advance in the State Playoffs. Kathy Griffith (11) said, “I am proud of [the team] and they make me feel proud to be a warrior.” Fans who contributed to the game off the court were trilled to have the opportunity to be part of the Warriors journey in the Playoffs. Jherish Moananu (11) said, “I am really happy for them. They have worked so hard and I am excited to see it all pay off, they really deserve it.” The team will take on Chaminade in the semi-finals on Saturday March  22, 2014 at the Citizens Bank Area.