So Close, Yet So Far

During this Boys Varsity Baseball season, members have been rigorously practicing for a successful one. Coach Juan Cueva motivates his team to go out to the field and try their best under any circumstances. But on Wednesday March 28, West had a little bit of a downfall against the South High Spartans.

In the final inning, West was down 10-8 but after scoring a run, the score was 10-9. However, they were unable to complete the comeback against the Spartans, the final score 10-9. Starting Pitcher Teddy Kerwin (12) stated, “We definitely shouldn’t give up especially with this close score. I know we tried our hardest, but I guess luck wasn’t on our side this time.” As the team captain, Kerwin hopes that this loss will help motivate the team. No matter under what circumstances, the team vows to never give up. With upcoming games and multiple chances to make it into CIF, the team has nothing to be sad about. Outfielder Wesley Chipeco (12) states, “I’m really disappointed about this game, especially since we were so close. But all we can do at this point is hit harder, run faster, and do better by working together.” With such inspirational words, the team doesn’t look at the game as a loss but as a lesson to learn from. “Sometimes things don’t go your way, and you just have to accept it.”

The season is just starting, so be sure to catch a game while you can! The team continues to try their best until the end.