Girls Soccer Season On Its Way

The West High Girls Varsity Soccer team played two games this week in the South Tournament. They played Yorba Linda High School on Friday and lost 1-0. Karlee Neer (10) claimed, “We completely dominated and had tons of shots on goal but just could not finish our chances!” The girls played hard, but according to Chidera Akubuilo (10), “we were just getting used to playing with one another.” The players are in the process of knowing how each player works and plays.

On Saturday, December 10th the team played against Downey High School, and won 2-0. Neer stated, “It was a very physical game and the referees were not really on our side, but we played through all the adversities and got the win.” Akubuilo recalls her favorite play of the game, “It was when Ashley Kawasaki (12), the senior captain, called for the ball, and I slipped the ball to her through two defenders and she took it straight to goal, and finished far post.” Kawasaki ended up scoring both goals for the team. Kiyomi Mitsuda (11) believed that Kawasaki’s goals were “picture perfect.”

Downey had a penalty kick, but goalie Amanda Orneals (11) saved it. Neer expressed, “It was pretty amazing! We were all so thankful that she stopped it and from then on played even harder and gave up almost no shots.” In the end the team pulled through and were all ecstatic with their first win.

Mitsuda revealed, “I believe we have a lot of talent and we are slowly starting to learn how each other play. I think soon people are going to know who we are – in a good way of course.” Akubuilo added, “I feel like there is definitely room for improvement, but I would rather start off weak and end the season strong.”

The team is fired up and feeling strong. The girls are ready for some good and well matched games.