The highly coveted Oscar trophies illuminate on the display ahead of the 96th Academy Awards. This year, late-night comedian Jimmy Kimmel reprised his role as host.
The 2024 Oscars: A Bold Year for Film
Anthony Parker, Entertainment & News Editor • March 28, 2024
In a surprising move to many, West Capitaneus, the school yearbook publication, will be discontinuing the popular, longstanding tradition of senior quotes. Citing logistical concerns, the West High administration has maintained this restriction, prompting petition by nearly a quarter of the student body.
Say Goodbye to Senior Quotes
Cyrilla Zhang, Editor-in-Chief • March 21, 2024

Finals: a School Necessity

Some students have become frustrated with the semester grade they receive in a class. The anger or disappointment that they suffer from is often caused by the one obstacle that students tend to struggle with most the final exam. The final in any class often decides whether someone gets a higher or a lower grade. Even though final exams are nightmares, it is still some importance to retain a final.

Jason Zheng (11) believes that finals are necessary as “[they] serve as a review of all the material throughout the entire semester.” Additionally, he said that “final exams make sure you are up to date with everything [a student has] learned so far.” Because there is so much material to cover before the exam, teachers will use their time to help students review for the final so that people like Zheng can do well.

Students can find it difficult to study so much material and as a result struggle on the test. Sadly that is the point of the final. To make sure that students comprehend all the material taught. Oliver Kim (11) agrees with Zheng and stated that a final can indicate “that you are learning something [and that] you remember things previously learned.” He also discussed how a final exam is able to “[distinguish] between the slackers and the hard workers and shows if [one] is proficient.”

With these exams set to occur on the last week of January, they are looming over students’ shoulders. Though they may be looked down upon, finals are important to the success in a class and as they only show knowledge of the subject and whether or not someone is working hard in a class. With only a few weeks left in the semester, it is time to prepare some coffee and “break out” the books.