Have you registered or pre-registered to vote?

Thursday, Oct. 5’s theme was Mathletes or Athletes, where students choose to dress up as one of the two subjects. Students in Mr. Collin’s AP Biology class sported their unique choices of attire. From left to right: Leah Ho (11), Gabriel White (11), and Mackenzie Ashford (11).
Get Ready for Some School Spirit!
Joshua Lee, Staff Writer • March 21, 2024

Private Colleges vs. Public Colleges

Upon entering high school, students begin to work towards the college that they consider the most suitable for their future. One decision involves the debate between private colleges and public colleges.

Private colleges usually have smaller, more intimate class sizes allowing professors to interact with students as individuals instead of addressing them as a large group. However, the primary issue that may discourage students from choosing a private college is the high tuition fee. This is stressful for students who have an interest in enrolling in a private college as they will have to work harder in order to qualify for possible scholarships or register for loans in order to balance the added cost of these fees. Yet, accompanying the expenses are financial aids that come from these institutions to help students pay the tuition fee. 

Conversely, public colleges provide a diversity of courses as opposed to the limited, yet unique majors offered in private academies. While public colleges may offer a broad range of classes from math majors to technological education, a private college can focus on religious teachings not available in public institutions. Yet the public school tuition costs are considerably lower than that of private universities making them more affordable to most students.

As a junior, Marissa Benson (11) anticipates that the college admissions process will be “extremely stressful but well worth the effort.” Benson believes it is harder to work for private colleges because “they’re generally smaller schools with higher prices and admission standards.”

Although there are substantial arguments on both sides, the ultimate decision lays in the interests of the student.