Students Show Spirit at the Winter Rally

On Friday, January 14th, West High students gathered in the gym to cheer on their classmates and enjoy class competitions and performances.

ASB, who prepared this rally, was hit with an unexpected setback in the morning of the rally: the ground level bleachers where the sophomores and freshman sit did not come out. ASB smoothly handled this by setting out chairs to accommodate sophomores on ground level, while freshman and excess sophomores were crammed on the mezzanine. Frustration was apparent amongst the underclassmen. Secretary of Spirit Alisa Wang (11) added, “It is a problem everybody had to deal with, and even though it may have dampened school spirit we couldn’t do anything about it.”

The rally began with announcements and a reminder that the Sadie Hawkins dance is approaching. Afterwards, captains from the varsity winter sports teams pumped up the school with a brief announcement intended to remind everyone to support their team. The first game during the rally was “Backwards” bowling, with the girl’s water polo captains taking the win with thirteen points.

The crowd was also treated with a special performance by advanced dance advertising  the Winter Dance Show which occurred last week at the Armstrong Theatre. Advanced Dance performed the crowd-pleasing finale of their show, entitled “Fierce”.

Following the dance performance came an  intense class competition that was similar to the popular TV show, “Don’t Forget the Lyrics”. Two representatives from each grade sang the chorus to popular songs including Katy Perry’s “California Girls”.

Senior competitor, Bethany Buckaway (12) commented, “I was extremely nervous I would not know the song and that is exactly what happened! I am a little embarrassed.” All classes put up a valiant effort, but Juniors finished on top.

As the rally concluded with the traditional singing of the “Alma Mater, the gym rang with the sound of the infamous, “Go home freshman!” chant led by the seniors. After a warning from Student Activities Director Mrs. Eriksen, the chant came to a halt and students left with the sound of the hit song “Forget You” being played in the background.

The rally appeared to be a success as many students enjoyed the school-spirit booster. Kristy Hargrave (11) exclaimed, “I love rallies! It brings us together and lets us cheer for our class!” Hopefully the rally served its purpose and everyone is pumped up for the winter season.