Daniel Barrett: A Sophomore Star

Those who recently attended the spring musical Little Shop of Horrors got a chance to see many talented performers, one of which was Daniel Barrett (10). In the musical, Barrett played the role of Seymour Krelborn, a young man who has aspiring plans of being successful with the use of a plant. Barrett is no stranger to theater. He has been performing since he was five years old and he has plans to pursue his passion of theater as a career.

Barrett first decided he wanted to be a part of theater when he was involved in a Performing Arts Workshop as a kid and “ever since that moment, [he has] loved the world of theater.” In his childhood years, he performed in several different types of musicals including The Lion King, The Little Mermaid, The Sound of Music, and Oklahoma. Additionally, he held lead roles in The Phantom of the Opera, Cinderella, Peter Pan, and Beauty and the Beast. He later began to perform in Community Theater and ended playing major roles in productions directed by Morgan Land.  

Initially when Barrett joined acting, he had ‘stage fright’, but throughout his experiences, he has found that there are a number of ways to practice one’s theater skills which include “improv games, voice and dance lessons.”  Barrett has also put his theater skills to work by joining Speech and Debate. His work in this organization has led to his winning numerous awards and despite it being his first year in Debate, he has earned recognition for his brilliant performances at tournaments.

Even though some missed his amazing performance in Little Shop of Horrors, then students will have the opportunity to see him perform at the Scarlata Theater on both Thursday and Friday. Speech and Debate will be holding a Debate Showcase to raise money for state-destined debaters and among the performers will be Barrett. If you haven’t seen the talent of this sophomore in the musical, go to the showcase and watch him put on a show.