P-Ville, in the Land of the West

Mr. Pesusich also known as Mr. P truly rules the minds of students when it comes to conceptualizing World History for 16 year olds. To him working at three in the morning, typing up lesson plans, and putting together power-point presentations gives him overwhelming joy. His lessons work thus a majority of his classes pass with a B or above. At the end of year, when school comes to a close, many students leave his class looking at history from a new and challenging perspective.

Mr. Pesusich created P-Ville as a learning experiment that gradually incorporated the institutionalized lesson plans required by the school. By teaching the students in class discussions and group presentations, Mr. Pesusich has been able to teach history in an active and comprehensive way. “Dewey has said that education should take place through ‘doing’. But these days, students spend most of their time sitting passively in their seats while a teacher is up front, screaming and yelling at them, hoping they learn!” exclaimed Mr. Pesusich. In P-Ville, no one sits around “doing nothing.” Everybody has a job and a place, whether that is Computer Guy or Supreme Council Member. And, since grades are moderately affected by P-Ville Points, which are earned by doing jobs, everybody has to participate or risk failure. When asked what he loves about his job, he says, “Interacting with [students] …. Seeing them grow up gives me pleasure and the boost to do my work.” 

Though there is no doubt that Mr. Pesusich is a good teacher, he adds an ominous note. Because of a recent turn of events, Mr. Pesusich is led to believe he may not be teaching the way he wants to or at all for as long as he wants.  Despite this, Mr. P believes in Socrates’ philosophy that, “I cannot teach anybody anything; I can only make them think.”