Have you registered or pre-registered to vote?

The highly coveted Oscar trophies illuminate on the display ahead of the 96th Academy Awards. This year, late-night comedian Jimmy Kimmel reprised his role as host.
The 2024 Oscars: A Bold Year for Film
Anthony Parker, Entertainment & News Editor • March 28, 2024
In a surprising move to many, West Capitaneus, the school yearbook publication, will be discontinuing the popular, longstanding tradition of senior quotes. Citing logistical concerns, the West High administration has maintained this restriction, prompting petition by nearly a quarter of the student body.
Say Goodbye to Senior Quotes
Cyrilla Zhang, Editor-in-Chief • March 21, 2024
Thursday, Oct. 5’s theme was Mathletes or Athletes, where students choose to dress up as one of the two subjects. Students in Mr. Collin’s AP Biology class sported their unique choices of attire. From left to right: Leah Ho (11), Gabriel White (11), and Mackenzie Ashford (11).
Get Ready for Some School Spirit!
Joshua Lee, Staff Writer • March 21, 2024

Hallows’ Eve is Almost Here!

Ghosts.  Goblins.  Things that go “BUMP!” in the night.  Yes, it is that dreadfully wondrous time of year again.  The one time of the year when it is socially acceptable to be as creepy, crawly, wacky, wild, extravagant, and eerie as you wish.  The time of Halloween.
According to www.history.com, the first form of Halloween was originally celebrated by the Celtics in what is now Ireland, around 2,000 years ago.  They called it Samhain and they believed that on the night of October 31st, the ghosts of the dead returned to earth and wreaked havoc upon the world.  In Rome, the Pope decided to hold a festival on November 1st in honor of Christian martyrs. However, shortly after, the celebration was changed to include saints as well.  During this festival, people participated in parades and dressed up like saints, sinners, and devils, which mirrored some of the aspects of the original Celtic Samhain celebration.  The new Roman-Celtic celebration was first called All Saints’ Day, and later changed to All-hallows, then later to All-hallows Eve, and finally, Halloween.
Contrary to the original motive All Saints’ Day, most people nowadays love Halloween because it is a time of fear, excitement, dressing up, and of course…free candy.  Contemporary costumes vastly differ from the original saint and sinner ones of ancient Rome.  This year, among West High students, it seems there is prevalence in costumes relating to Japan and fictional characters.  Yubin Kang (11) explains that “[she is] going to be wearing a kimono as a geisha.”  Justin Sullivan (9) happily exclaimed that “[he] is being Totoro [from Totoro]” and Stephanie Uchino (11) is opting for “Kiki from Kiki’s Delivery Service,” both of which are the main characters of two different Japanese animated films.  Adding to the number of fictional character costume choices, Kiana Nicio (12) will be dressing up as a Smurf, and Lauren Stowe (10) as Luna Lovegood from the Harry Potter series.  Lovegood is a quirky and unpredictable companion of Harry. To capture her look, Stowe explains, “I will wear a white and pink shirt probably, wand in hair if possible, black tights, funky socks, and I’m not so sure for bottoms right now. Oh and crazy shoes.”  Though it seems that the majority of students are not choosing to don more grotesque or frightening costumes, Halloween this year will undoubtedly be interesting and enjoyable regardless!