Aristocracy Heads to the Big Apple

While many enjoyed the three-day Memorial weekend, Aristocracy, West High’s advanced choir, toured New York City and performed in the world-famous Lincoln Center.

The twenty-nine students and five chaperones left LAX early Friday, May 27th for the Big Apple. Although this trip was partly for pleasure, the greater priority was a world-premier performance of Dijay Songh’s Mass Op. 1. Aristocracy students were part of a larger group from across the country who came together to premiere this piece. Members practiced throughout the school year on this Latin piece, and had four-hour practices with the other performers every day during their New York trip.

The performance at Lincoln Center went exceptionally well as Patricia Lee (12) described, “The house was pretty full and it was exciting to be performing.” The performance fulfilled the crowd’s expectations and Aristocracy’s long days of practice paid off.

In addition to the busy practice and performance schedule, there was also plenty of free time to enjoy in the city. The group saw Tony Award winning musicals, Memphis and Billy Elliot during their stay, in addition to dining at famous restaurants such as Bricco, an Italian restaurant, and Ellen’s Stardust Diner, an eatery with singing waitresses.

Lee describes her highlights as: “walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, going to the Met, and seeing the musicals.” As a group, Aristocracy traveled through New York seeing sights such as Central Park, St. Patrick’s Cathedral, the Roxie, a popular nightclub, and Rockefeller Center.

For some, this was their first trip to the east coast and as they returned home late Tuesday night, these singers were probably dreaming about their New York experience.