WHS Band Spends Thanksgiving on the East Coast

As students enjoyed Thanksgiving break, the West High Entertainment Unit (WHEU), which is made up of band, tall flags and drill team, was busy touring the East Coast preparing to march in the Philadelphia Thanksgiving Day Parade. Assistant Drum Major Nicole Mattson (11) enjoyed the parade despite that it was cold and said, “It was fun to march and see all the other groups.” The members spent nine days in New York, Philadelphia, and Washington D.C. performing and seeing the sights.

The band arrived in New York City on Saturday, November 20th and stayed at the Marriott Marquis hotel in Times Square until Wednesday, November 24th. Over the course of five days, band members enjoyed two Broadway shows, a dinner cruise, sightseeing and free time to explore the city. Sarah Gaugh (11) mentioned, “in New York shopping was my favorite activity. The stores there are definitely better than ours.” Alex Wolfson (10) was thrilled to be in the Big Apple for the first time and added, “The musical was my favorite and Broadway is amazing.”

On Thanksgiving morning the WHEU marched the streets of downtown Philadelphia then traveled to Washington D.C. for a festive dinner. Megan Yasaki (11) thoroughly enjoyed the feast and noted, “It was my first time having Thanksgiving with my friends and it was great because I felt like they were my second family.” For many on the trip, the dinner capped off a Thanksgiving that will be remembered for years to come.

After three more fun-filled days touring monuments and memorials in Washington D.C., the WHEU flew back to LAX with memories of the once-in-a-lifetime trip. Ashley Minnis-Lemley (11) was thrilled to have gone on the tour and said, “I had a great time with my friends and seeing the sights. It was just an amazing experience overall.”