Fall Play Goes Greek

The drama department has yet again pulled off an amazing show which premiered Wednesday, November 17th. The fall play this year was Saving the Greeks: One Tragedy at a Time. The Play Production class rehearsed this comedy for months, and to no one’s surprise, it was an astonishing success. The play lasted about two and a half hours long, including a fifteen-minute intermission. Mrs. Orabuena explained that the production of Saving the Greeks was quite frustrating at first, commenting that comedy is one of the hardest forms of theatre because, “you are either funny, or you’re not.”    

Saving the Greeks is parody of Grecian tragedies. In it, Dialysis, Scott Shima (12), and his slave Peon, Ammar Zia (12), decide to form a Grecian utopia, known as Betterland.  The existence of Betterland depends on the finding of citizens to populate their new city.  They decide to rescue tragic heroes and characters. However, they soon discover that melding in the destiny of people adds a great deal of complication, through which Dialysis and Peon must work. With cliché death scenes, and outrageous dialogue, the audience was constantly laughing. The single musical number was extremely funny, and the end of the play the audience is fully able to understand the message behind the lyrics. 

This play was filled with fast puns, perhaps too witty, as some did not fully understand certain meanings missing the punch lines entirely. Some were known only to those familiar with the Greek myths.

Nonetheless, the play filled the audience with laughter, and some more than others. Each of the Play Production’s presentations of Saving the Greeks was a marvelous evening.  The play stars a humorous cast of students. Varsity cheerleader Megan Neureither (12) described that being in play production for the first time, was “a new venue or medium for me as a performer.” Having played Helen of Troy, she commented that drama is “a fun, creative way to express [herself].” Bethany Buckaway (12), who played Hera, the wife of Zeus and queen of all gods, explained that having been all her life a funny person contributed to her expertise in comedy. She continued to explain that play production, “teaches you how to work hard, and not to procrastinate.”  

Some may say that costume designs were a little on cheap side as simple bed sheets were used to make their Grecian togas, however this added to the humorous parody of Saving the Greeks. At first the audience was taking back, but soon after the dialogue itself was side-splitting as folgur language is a favorite to most teenage audience. Overall, this play was outstanding, the comedy was extremely funny and did not disappoint, the drama department has yet again manage to put on a real show.