The Newest Box Office Hero

Alyna Kim, Staff Writer

Big Hero 6 leaped to the top of the charts with a profit of $56.22M within its first week. The family friendly film has topped all competition and warmed hearts across the country.

Originally, Big Hero 6 was a Marvel comic that featured an all-Japanese team of super heroes. Instead, Disney’s revival of the team is set in a futuristic city called San Fransokyo, which is a mash up of San Francisco and Tokyo. The team is composed of Hiro, GoGo Tomago, Honey Lemon, Wasabi, and Fred, all of whom are students at the San Fransokyo Institute of Technology, and Baymax, a personal healthcare companion. They are played by actors Ryan Potter, Scott Adsit, Jamie Chug, Genesis Rodriguez, Daman Wayans Jr., and T.J. Miller, respectively.

The story revolves around Hiro Hamada, a boy genius with a knack for robotics, and his quest to defeat and unmask the villain Yokai. Because of the focus on Hiro, the movie also centers around his relationship with his older brother, Tadashi Hamada (Daniel Henney), who plays a key role in Hiro’s character development, as well as the overall motivations for the plot.

“Without making a big deal out of it, Big Hero 6 features a shrewdly balanced and engaging group of male and female characters of various ethnic backgrounds,” said Michael Phillips of the Chicago Tribune. Unfortunately, as Phillips points out later, they don’t get as much screen time as the main duo, Baymax and Hiro. While they receive complex lines and tear-jerking moments, the supporting cast rarely gets more than a few one-liners.

However, this hasn’t stopped the movie from being a major hit this season. The reviews are overwhelmingly popular, and no one can deny that the visuals were stunning.

“Take my word for it, or better yet go find out for yourself: Big Hero 6 is a treat,” said Billy Goodykoontz of the Arizona Republic.

In agreement with Goodykoontz, Rene Rodriguez of the Miami Herald said,With a film this funny, exciting and visually stimulating, who cares if you know exactly what’s going to happen next, and when.” The film was directed by Don Hall and Chris Williams, who also worked on other successful Disney films such as, Frozen and Bolt. Jin Kim, who was also on the character design team for Frozen, was on the animation team for Big Hero 6.

Big Hero 6 is currently playing at 3761 theaters nationwide including almost every theater in the Torrance area. AMC Theaters is also showing the film in both 3-D and regular 2-D.