Best of Little Tokyo

There are other attractions for students to visit every now and then. These include the beach and the Del Amo Mall but another place that has become popular for many students is Little Tokyo also known commonly as ‘Lil’ Tokyo or J- Town. Though its name contains the word ‘little’, this place has made a name of its own and not only for cultural centers such as the Japanese American Museum Restaurants but also a list of restaurants which includes Daikokuya and Orochon Ramen. These restaurants serve traditional dishes ranging from sashimi, tempura, and ramen. Though it is renowned for its talent in cuisine, Little Tokyo is also famous for its shopping giving people not only an insight into Japanese culture but also allowing people to enjoy the many opportunities this place has to offer. 

After visiting Little Tokyo, Nicole Nitake (11) found this quaint place to be “really cute.” In particular, she “liked the shopping malls and [thought] the food offered there was delicious.” In addition to wonderful food and great shopping, Nitake complimented Little Tokyo for the cleanliness maintained despite the crowds of people who make an effort to travel to this area. At the end of a long trip, Nitake found that there were “[more] people on the streets, especially at night,” probably to look back at the sights they had visited.  She believes that with these elements “[walking] around somehow [became] more fun.”

Many times, the area is filled with people on a regular basis; Little Tokyo is typically crammed with cars or with other people who come to celebrate Nisei Week. This festivity occurs every August and includes a long parade, various athletic events, and a chance for artists to showcase their work in exhibits. It also features a car show and as a tradition, every year a queen and her court are selected from a group.