“Pli-Yay!” West Dance Department’s Fall Showcase

Sometimes, all you need to have a good day is an excuse to leave your house. Luckily, West’s Dance Department has got you covered. Their first show of the year was on September 27, and they really put their all into it. With stunning twists, turns, and synchronization that would make your head pop off, this year’s dancers are hitting the ground running. 

So, what inspires some of these dancers to start? Kristine Vu (10) who is on the intermediate dance team fondly recalled that “I watched a few episodes of Dance Moms when I was ten . . . so, I just wanted to dance.” Though a humorous anecdote, Vu has shown that with enough motivation, anyone can become a dancer. 

By using motivation to push us forward, we can produce great results and even reach the top. As the classic saying goes: practice makes perfect. In the case of Nandini Singh (11), this is evident because after talking about rehearsal, she claimed that she had “no nerves yet,” adding that “I feel prepared for the dances.” As a member of the Advanced Dance team, some may say it’s obvious that Singh would feel comfortable, but the truth is that she got where she is because of all the hard work she put in. Only after hours of training would she be able to leap so effortlessly. Hard work truly pays off. For example, Maria Medawar (11) attended the dance show in part to see her friend performing in the show. Medawar could only sing her friend’s praises, noting that “She did an amazing job, and her hard work was put into a good cause. She should be happy.”  Undoubtedly, we can see when the dancers pour their heart and soul into their chosen art form. After seeing the show, another audience member, Amari Hendriks-Perez (10), was very amused, exclaiming “I think they’re improving a lot and I liked watching them. It was great to see how much they got done and how good they’re doing already.” After watching almost every dance show last year, Hendriks-Perez had a good idea of what a dance show should be, and for him, this was one of the better performances. This shows that West’s dance department is a truly talented group of people that makes others happy. 

For these girls, the dance department isn’t just a class, it’s a community they cherish. For intermediate dancer Giselle Marthinu (11), it’s “the most welcoming community I’ve ever met . . . and I feel like the dance department really helped me find myself.” After being in the dance department for three years, Marthinu has had ample time to enjoy the community. Not to mention, being on the intermediate dance team can be “a great experience to learn and make new friends” for newcomers like Mary Lee (9).

In conclusion, the dance department works really hard for what they want to achieve and it shows. As advanced dancer Milena Kerch (10) said, “Showcase is good preparation for when we’re seniors and have to audition a solo that could possibly be performed in a larger show.” And despite the fact that the fall showcase is a show of their skills before they continue training, these dancers are already on an outstanding level. They will host even more shows this year to keep us entertained and they will likely only get better. So if you are looking for a good time or just another excuse to leave the house, why don’t you come out and support West High’s amazing dance department?

Art/Photo by Christian Robledo
The audience watches in awe as the Advanced Dance team leaps and soars through the air. With such grace, it seemed as though angels touched the West High stage. We know that the school will wait in anticipation for the next chance to see them perform.
Art/Photo by Christian Robledo
As the beat drops, members of the Intermediate Dance team strike a pose. West High’s intermediate dance looked better than ever in their Fall Showcase. So, get ready to watch the next show because they just keep improving!