Fashion Designer Karl Lagerfeld Dies

Christine Nguyen, Co-Editor-in-Chief

On Tuesday, February 19th, it was announced that Karl Lagerfeld, a creative director and fashion designer, had died at the age of 85 in Paris. Although there is not a confirmed cause, there has been reports about his absence at a recent fashion show due to his poor health.

Chanel stated, “It is with deep sadness that the House of Chanel announces the passing of Karl Lagerfeld, the Creative Director for the Chanel Fashion House since 1983.”

Following his death, a released report mentioned how Lagerfeld will not have a funeral, which is exactly what he wanted. Instead, he wished to be cremated and to have his ashes be scattered amongst his mother’s and late partner’s.

Sophia Condemi (11), who recently competed in a fashion construction event, said, “I was sad to hear about his death because he is such an influential person in the fashion world, it’s heartbreaking. he has been in the fashion industry for so long and has been successful his whole career. He’s seen all of the changes in fashion and he’s been able to adapt to them and make great things.”

In response to the news, Lagerfeld received a gush of admiration and appreciation from the fashion industry, especially from his celebrity friends.

When presenting Lagerfeld with the Outstanding Achievement Award at the British Fashion Awards in 2015, Anna Wintour, editor of American Vogue, said, “More than anyone I know, he represents the soul of fashion: restless, forward-looking and voraciously attentive to our changing culture.”

Having been one of the most renown fashion designers in the 21st century, Lagerfeld directed many eye-catching fashion shows. This includes his Fall 2017 Chanel show that was based off of a space station concept. The set displayed a full-size rocket ship that launched at the end. Pharrell Williams, Cara Delevingne, Lily-Rose Depp and mother Vanessa Paradis were also featured at the finale.

Drishti Tyagi (10), an advanced fashion student, said, “He was definitely more controversial but he was a lot more bold and influential with his ideas; he wasn’t afraid of judgment. He’s definitely shown me that high fashion pieces can be wearable, and that considering certain clothing unconventional only hinders creativity.”

Chanel revealed that Virginie Viard, Director of Chanel’s Fashion Creation Studio and Lagerfeld’s closest collaborator, will be taking Karl Lagerfeld’s place by continuing the production for the collections. LVMH-owned Italian house Fendi, where Lagerfeld was the artistic director of women’s ready-to-wear and couture collections, has not publicly shared a succession plan yet. They plan on taking their time to pay the designer the accolade he deserves. Fendi is to showcase Lagerfeld’s last collection on Thursday in Milan.

Being able to speak and read multiple languages while managing three brands at the same time, Karl Lagerfeld epitomes success. People have come to realize that there was much more to Lagerfeld than just his white powdered ponytail and stiff, white shirts. His complex creations are bound to shape fashion for decades to come.