Redneck Revolution

The phase of reality television shows consisting of spoiled teenagers, children raising children, and families with twenty kids is being pushed aside by a new phenomenon: rednecks. Maybe it is the economy that is causing Americans to stop enjoying the lives of those who are doing better than the average citizen, and causing them to seek joy in those who take baths in mud and wrestle pigs for fun.

Channels like CMT, TLC, and MTV are using this new craze to boost their ratings. CMT has been airing the showMy Big Redneck Wedding since 2008. The show follows couples who decide to take their weddings to a different, more redneck level. TLC struck gold when its executives gave a little girl by the name of Alana Thompson, more commonly known as Honey Boo Boo, her own reality show in August 2012. Here Comes Honey Boo Boo has taken the southern stereotype to the top of the charts as one of most watched reality television shows this year, and Honey Boo Boo even landed a spot on Barbara Walter’s list of Most Fascinating People of 2012.

Another crowd pleaser that began in June 2012 is Redneck Island. This new CMT show takes on the feel of Survivor, with fourteen rednecks that are sent to a tropical island who fight for a chance to win $100,000.

If you find yourself looking for a new show to watch that delves deep into the lives of the Redneckers of America tune in to MTV on January 3, 2013 to see the series premiere of Buckwild. This show is similar to the popular JerseyShore, and follows the story of nine young hillbillies gallivanting around West Virginia living their lives loud, proud, and without restrictions.

So perhaps future reality shows could be described in one word: redneck.