Call of Duty Excites with New Installment

On November 8th, 2011, Activision released the third game in the highly successful Call of Duty: Modern Warfare franchise. The game along with Battlefield 3 has been praised as among the year’s most anticipated game. Within the first 24 hours, in-store sales peaked at almost $400 million dollars. In addition, stores sold over 6.5 million copies, which surpassed Battlefield’s record of 5 million. Thousands of fans eagerly camped in long lines overnight at stores all across the globe to purchase the game. Some even dressed in combat gear and military costumes.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 continues the storyline where its predecessor left off: after the protagonist ‘Soap’ kills the rogue US Army General Shepard and his team (remnants of the original Task Force 141) as well as several Russian Spetsnaz operatives. Soap joins in a secret war against the ultranationalist Mackarov, the one who set off World War 3 between theUSandRussia. Furthermore,New York Cityhas been invaded by the Russians and Grinch, a member of the ‘Delta Force’ team, is tasked with forcing them out of the city.

The campaign mode is fast-paced and full of action. The visual graphics engine is refined, polished over several months, and is ready to burst in all its beauty and fury. Plus, the multiplayer feature gives the game improved depth and opens up more interactive space for the players to explore and experience with an online community of gamers. These features also give players more access to key multiplayer weapons and offers incentives to improve player performance.

Although the multiplayer is still plagued with a few flaws seen in previous Call of Duty games, there are numerous improvements. Its overall performance and visual effects are overpowering to the gamer and its fast-paced action keeps the player hooked on the move.

Throughout the first few weeks of its sale, Call of Duty has already been praised already as one of the best shooter games ever made and because of this, it has accumulated success worldwide.