In April We Wear Blue!

People with Autistic Spectrum Disorder have been discriminated against for as long as it has been a diagnosable condition, and the challenges that they face today often still create a hostile environment for them socially and politically. The definition of Autism Awareness has changed over time, and now it is imperative that their existence is validated in a way that describes ASD as not a curable condition, but a part of who they are. Autistic individuals oftentimes don’t connect with other people the same way that neurotypical people do, even as children. Parallel play is a type of socialization where kids show interest in another’s activity, but do not actively engage in the activity with the other child. There have been many studies that show that children who have ASD are more likely to engage in parallel play with other kids than in other types of play.

Art/Photo by Westley Kim

Luciana Gonzalez, Staff Writer

Wear blue, be inclusive, and spread kindness. April is National Autism Acceptance Month. Although it was previously known as Autism “Awareness” Month, the Autism Society officially announced a terminology change in 2021 from “awareness” to “acceptance.” They explained that “awareness” is knowing someone has autism, while “acceptance” is being inclusive to people with autism.  

Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is a complex developmental condition that affects an individual’s ability to communicate and interact. According to autismspeaks.org, “Because autism is a spectrum disorder, each person with autism has a distinct set of strengths and challenges. The ways in which people with autism learn, think and problem-solve can range from highly skilled to severely challenged.” Nonetheless, there is often nothing on the surface that sets them apart from other people. “Many students with autism make great friends, participate well in class, and have produced excellent work,” STEPS teacher Mr. Forman commented. 

Kids have learned that autism does not define who they are. “What makes you different makes you beautiful . . . kids with autism are just like other kids; they just react to situations a little differently,” STEPS teacher Mr. Schindler expressed. 

At West High, there are several resources available for students with special needs. Students with more severe symptoms on the autism spectrum are given an equal opportunity for education as well as help and support with their academics and development of skills. The STEPS program allows students that have more difficulties and might not ‌get a diploma to get a certificate of completion instead. “We have a transition program after high school that helps them transition to do daily life skills and activities,” school psychologist Ms. Miller explained. Currently, West High has one of the highest levels (resources) of the STEPS program to help and support students. 

West’s Friendship Club is one place that is dedicated to creating a safe and more welcoming environment for all students. “Through this club, I’ve been able to meet amazing students . . . they are all so talented and I love to ask about recent drawings or photos they’ve taken,” Faith Iwanaka (11) Friendship Club member expressed. 

Even if you are not part of Friendship club, you can still help support students with ASD. A crucial part of every student’s development is interaction with peers. However, some students with autism find it hard to build friendships. Thus, it is important to make them feel welcome and comfortable at West High. Wearing the color blue is a symbol of awareness and acceptance, and actions will always have a bigger impact.