Women Protest Against Late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s Replacement

Hannah Vickers, Staff Writer

On October 17th, in San Diego Balboa park, another pre-election women’s march took place, along with thousands of other marches  across the country. This instance is one of many that have taken place in the span of three years, moving as a symbol for choice, feminist views, and women’s suffrage. 

The main goal of this particular march would be that of Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s dying wish. NPR’s Nina Totenberg, a reporter and close friend of the late Ginsburg, revealed that beloved R.G.B. stated, “My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new president is installed.” This wish has been one of the main reasons why event organizer,  Jenna Karnuvadis, has set out to make this march happen. In a statement to Pasadena Now and copy/pasted across a multitude of online newspapers, Jenna explained “It was Ginsburg’s dying wish to not be replaced until after the election, and I think that we should honor that.” That wish didn’t come to fruition, as a new Supreme Court Justice Amy Coney Barrett was confirmed, on October 26, 2020. 

Student Vince Rabanes (11) talks about his own take on the situation. “I think the supreme court is relative to pretty much all Americans,” Vince said, commenting that the supreme court is akin to a role model for the nation’s laws, “so I think it’s pretty important that the right people are in those spots.” On the subject of Ginsburg’s will, Vince has to say “that question really lies on your moral boundaries…I think that a woman on her deathbed [should] have her wishes respected at the very least.”

The organizers have hinted at a following event occurring on November 3rd, and the country waits in anticipation to see their next move.