The highly coveted Oscar trophies illuminate on the display ahead of the 96th Academy Awards. This year, late-night comedian Jimmy Kimmel reprised his role as host.
The 2024 Oscars: A Bold Year for Film
Anthony Parker, Entertainment & News Editor • March 28, 2024
In a surprising move to many, West Capitaneus, the school yearbook publication, will be discontinuing the popular, longstanding tradition of senior quotes. Citing logistical concerns, the West High administration has maintained this restriction, prompting petition by nearly a quarter of the student body.
Say Goodbye to Senior Quotes
Cyrilla Zhang, Editor-in-Chief • March 21, 2024

Tackling on Responsibility

Learn why Taylor Gimian is one of West’s best, in the classroom and on the field.

When Taylor Gimian (12) was in the eighth grade, he watched his friend Logan White (12) play in a school football game. This inspired him and four years later, he has become the dominant middle linebacker for West High. Gimian first began playing as a freshman and joined the varsity team during his sophomore year. He credits his success in the sport to the coaches because “they push us hard everyday so we can become better athletes.”
His accomplishments also led him to become a leader for the team; he stated “Being a captain feels great. After putting in four years of hard work for the program, it feels good to be recognized by the coaches.” Gimian also praised the staff for helping the team to improve after each match. “We watch the whole game on film and they help show us what we need to improve on for the next [one].”
Not only is Gimian an athletic star, he is quite the scholar taking rigorous classes such as Government/Economics AP, Calculus BC AP, and English Literature AP. With high academic standards, he hopes to attend a university that will allow him to pursue an excellent education while also playing football.
Despite being busy with college applications and school work, Gimian continues to be a powerful threat to opponents and when the end of the season draws closer, he expects the team to make the playoffs. This belief showed as he stated, “We have had a rocky start because we have a young team, but I believe that we have the potential to do well.” Even though it will be his last year playing in high school, Gimian expects to make this last season his greatest.