West High’s Got Talent

As the lights dimmed the crowd prepared themselves to be amazed by a wide array of dance, music, and art. In total there were nineteen performances—each act setting a higher bar of excellence for the following performers. Thomas Heflinger (11) described, “It felt like every performer did pretty well.”

The talent show varied from piano solos and singing, to hip-hop dancing. Kathryn Wu (12), 1st place winner of the “Variety” category, thrilled the crowd with her Sonatine, Movement III—a song requiring precise and demonstrative hand agility. “It felt as if I was watching a professional playing the piano. Every note and melody seemed perfectly intact,” praised Shan Tank (11). Van Latimer stuck to the classic talent of juggling; the crowd cheered and jumped off their seats with excitement. Latimer juggled multiple pins and balls between the legs, behind the back, and off the feet, which Michael Guan (11) said was “very cool”.

Bryan Vicari (12), winner of the sweepstakes award for “Best Overall,” stole the crowd with his melodious vocals and guitar solos singing his original song “Due Process” and encore performance of “What I Got” by sublime. The talent show not only left the crowd entertained, but also revealed the many hidden talents of West High.