Filipino Cultural Club and Filipino American History Month

Filipino Culture Club (FCC) President Kayla Dadivas (12) speaks to a circle of attendees about new club events and board members. Thursday, Oct. 6, 2022 was the first general FCC meeting, filled with authentic Filipino food, music, and important information for this year. Club members can look forward to  new merch designs, and bonding with branches of FCC at other South bay schools. This month is especially important for the club since it is the Filipino American History Month. The board members took this opportunity to inform attendees of the importance of recognizing the history of Filipino-Americans who paved the path for future generations.

Art/Photo by Jasmin Cuaresma

Filipino Culture Club (FCC) President Kayla Dadivas (12) speaks to a circle of attendees about new club events and board members. Thursday, Oct. 6, 2022 was the first general FCC meeting, filled with authentic Filipino food, music, and important information for this year. Club members can look forward to new merch designs, and bonding with branches of FCC at other South bay schools. This month is especially important for the club since it is the Filipino American History Month. The board members took this opportunity to inform attendees of the importance of recognizing the history of Filipino-Americans who paved the path for future generations.

Eli Fauni, Opinion Editor

With influencers like Olivia Rodrigo, Beabadoobee, and Bretman Rock, and dishes like sinigang, adobo, and lumpia dominating the internet, there’s never been a better time for Filipino pride. Amplifying this pride even further, October is also known as Filipino American History Month, allowing us to recognize the history and accomplishments following the first Filipino arrivals in the United States. This month of commemoration also allows us to celebrate the unique culture of the Philippines. Here at West High, no one does Filipino pride like the Filipino Cultural Club. 

FCC President Kayla Dadivas (12) described what club members can expect to see from the club throughout the year: “During our meetings, we might teach Tagalog (which is the Filipino language), share some history, traditions, media, and provide some Filipino treats!” FCC is a great way for students at West High to learn about and get involved in Filipino culture.

Dadivas hopes to not only shed light on Filipino culture but bring people with similar traditions and experiences together. “As a cultural club, it’s important to create a fun and safe space for everyone,” Dadivas shared, “FCC striving to share our culture encourages students to gather with people that share similar experiences of struggle and joy and gather anyone interested in supporting or learning about it.”

October is especially important for the club, as board members are given the perfect opportunity to educate students about Filipino history. Throughout the month, it’s common to see educational resources spotlighting Filipino achievements, and sharing stories of Filipino American struggles. FCC Vice President, Jude Arabit (12) commented, “It’s a great way to learn more about the Philippines and how [Filipinos] learned to fight even with little resources available.” The history of Filipinos and Americans can be rather dark, with racism and inhumane treatment on top of stories of battles and colonization. However, it’s still important to acknowledge this part of history. Arabit noted that in honor of Filipino American History month, FCC plans on “educating West High” on the stories of Filipinos in our country.

West High’s Filipino Cultural Club emphasizes education, cultural appreciation, and tight bonds, making the club a safe space for all students, Filipino or not. As Dadivas expressed, “FCC is a great way to connect with others and you can leave every meeting learning something new!”