Reasons Why You Should Join UNICEF Club

Art/Photo by Luciana Duke

UNICEF Club excitedly advertises their club as West’s Club Rush, encouraging students to join. If you want to be part of this club go to their meetings on Tuesdays at lunch in room 5106.

Luciana Duke, Staff Writer

Do you want to make a difference in the world and meet new friends? Well, join West High’s United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF). UNICEF club is dedicated to giving a voice to every child in the world. They teach students how to advocate for those who need help. This club is part of the program of the non-governmental organization UNICEF. UNICEF started in 1946 to help children in countries affected by World War II. They provide children with health aid, food resources, and emotional support. Since then, it has helped thousands of children and communities and continues to work in around 190 countries and territories. UNICEF clubs partner with UNICEF USA; each club is led by high school students who create different events and activities to help their communities, and West High’s UNICEF club is not an exception. “Whether it is poverty, human trafficking, or environmental issues, we want to focus on all issues involving youth this year,” communication officer Adaora Enyekwe (12) said.

But why should you join UNICEF? Here are a couple of reasons why: 

Fundraising – UNICEF Club hosts several events and activities to fundraise and generate donations to help children. Members get to participate in making crafts, helping set up, or publicizing the events. In 2017, UNICEF club raised $137.62 by selling their human trafficking bracelets at the local farmer’s market So no matter your age, availability, or talents, if you have a passion for helping others, then UNICEF is the right place for you.

AdvocacyUNICEF also teaches students to be a  voice for the voiceless. It helps students stay civically engaged and learn about different issues concerning youth. “We do this because we recognize that not all children were born in the same circumstances or resources that everyone else might have,” Paolina Aguila (12), UNICEF Club’s president, expressed. You will learn about the mission and vision of UNICEF, and the different policies that sustain their work. Students learn about child protection, child inclusion, and the importance of child education. Members will get the opportunity to learn how to use their voice and incorporate the work of UNICEF into their everyday lives. You only need yourself and a willing heart to help those around you. 

Community – It wouldn’t be a West High club without the fun stuff, right? At UNICEF Club you will find a community of helping and kind-hearted people. You will get to work and meet different students while making a difference. Meetings are often really fun; you get to bring your lunch and have a nice time with your friends while learning about different issues regarding youth. In 2019, members gathered by Building 4 after school to help decorate a tree for Christmas. In UNICEF you will find an uplifting and welcoming environment. 

What are you waiting for? Join UNICEF Club now! The first meeting will be Tuesday, October 5th during lunch in room 5106. Follow them on Instagram @westhighunicef to stay updated on all events and meetings. They hope to see you there!