A Safe and Spooky Halloween

As Halloween creeps closer and closer, Kate Phan (10) and Molly Paulson (10) paint minion designs on mini pumpkins. Despite the restrictions on traditional Halloween gatherings, Phan expressed, “Surprisingly I actually love quarantine. I dont really have many friends to hang out with, Ive learned quality over quantity.”

Art/Photo by Kate Phan (10)

As Halloween creeps closer and closer, Kate Phan (10) and Molly Paulson (10) paint minion designs on mini pumpkins. Despite the restrictions on traditional Halloween gatherings, Phan expressed, “Surprisingly I actually love quarantine. I don’t really have many friends to hang out with, I’ve learned quality over quantity.”

Alexssa Takeda, Co-Editor-in-Chief

On October 18th, the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health advised people to avoid high-risk Halloween activities such as visiting haunted houses, trick-or-treating, or hosting large get-togethers. For a day that relies heavily on social interaction, it is clear that this year’s Halloween will be difficult to navigate. But thankfully, West students found different ways to stay in the fall spirit. 

DRESS UP  

What would Halloween be without the costumes? Host a costume party over Zoom, along with a spooky playlist and festive Halloween backgrounds. Isabella Pellicciari Torres (11) shared her ideas, saying, “I planned a costume with my friends over Zoom that we’re going to wear it to our classes on the 30th.” Another way to show off your creation is through ASB’s costume contest! Sophomore President Allison Tsai (10) announced, “We are going to have a Halloween contest where you take a picture of yourself in your costume and save it to a folder in the ASB drive. We will give out prizes to people with the best costume in each category: funniest, most creative, best overall, and scariest!” So make sure to give it your all. 

DECORATE PUMPKINS

You could spice up that Zoom costume party by including a pumpkin carving or decorating contest! Kate Phan (10) planned a safe meeting with her friend, explaining, “We just painted a baby pumpkin as a little minion. We messed up a lot but definitely had a fun time painting him.” Whether you choose to do it virtually or meet with a few friends (wearing masks and social distancing, of course!), this Halloween classic will surely make your night. 

WATCH SCARY MOVIES 

It seems that there is no shortage of Halloween movies. But which to choose? Hocus Pocus, Ghostbusters, and Halloweentown are great classics that will get you into the Halloween spirit. Student Xianthelle Agustin (9) gave her recommendations: “I was just gonna browse through Netflix, but my favorite Halloween movie would be either Coraline or Corpse Bride.” And because Halloween falls on a Saturday, you can have a night-long movie marathon. 

MAKE HALLOWEEN TREATS

Even though trick-or-treating isn’t an option, it doesn’t mean students can’t brew up their own sweet treats. Students such as Alice Mills (10) planned to spend the night baking, saying “[I’ll] probably [make] cookies and pumpkin bread, and just have a bunch of Halloween candies like KitKats and chocolate.” A few simple recipes to try out this Halloween are these Rice Krispie Treat pumpkins or these Bewitching Candy Truffles

DRIVE-THRU ACTIVITIES

If you want to get out of the house and still stay safe, drive-through activities are the perfect solution! Places such as the Los Angeles Zoo are offering hair-raising nights as they transform their parking lots into creepy and classic drive-in theaters. And despite the restrictions on traditional haunted houses, you can still check out Urban Legends Halloween Haunt at the OC Fairgrounds for a terrifying and entertaining live performance from the safety of your vehicle. Or if you’re looking for an experience with a little less care and a little more adventure, embark on Not So Spooky Farm’s interactive journey by venturing through mazes, collecting candy clues, and unlocking narratives through your smartphone. No matter how spooked or brave you are, there is a Halloween adventure for everyone!