In It to Win It

Art/Photo by Bella Levinson

The West High Girls’ Soccer team huddles up seconds before kickoff against the opposing team, Mira Costa. After an outstanding 2021-2022 season of being League and State Champions, these girls are reading to reach their fullest potential and bring it all home for a second time.

Bella Levinson, Visuals Editor

Soccer Season is officially back in for winter! As we pile on our layers of huge coats and fuzzy socks to handle the colder days (and especially nights), Girls’ and Boys’ soccer are preparing for this upcoming season with jam-packed practices and games for weeks on end. The Girls’ Varsity Soccer Team is especially on fire this season after winning the State title. With new teammates, a strong team-dynamic, and endless amounts of tenacity from each player, it’s safe to say that Varsity is hoping to stay on track to winning the league and beyond. 

On December 7, West and Mira Costa battled during a pre-season game. Working extra hard, West secured a Warrior win of 1-0. Last year, the girls pushed through against Mira Costa but were unable to triumph. However, this year is all about new beginnings, and with new beginnings, came unfamiliar faces to the team that factored into this year’s win against Mira Costa. Freshman on Varsity Bela Arujo (9) is striving towards a great first season in high school and looking forward to better her playing for club and beyond. Arujo explained that being a freshman on Varsity was a bit intimidating at first, as she played with and against players that are at a higher level. However, with secured playing time against hard opponents like Mira Costa, she was “super excited to better [her] playing and learn from her teammates on Varsity and be able to prove [herself] throughout the season.” 

Since she is aware that this sport is a team sport, Arujo holds onto personal goals that will create motivation for the upcoming season. Arujo plays on the defensive back-line and hopes to do her absolute best to avoid conceding goals. To do so, she is working towards improving 1v1 defending, as well as defending off the ball. She shared that as a defender it is her responsibility to penetrate the attack: “With the back line that we have, I believe that myself and the rest of the team are very capable of this.” 

Coming back from a phenomenal season, the team’s mindset and motivation are at its peak. Hannah Nagashima (11) has high hopes for this season. Nagashima explained that the team dynamic is at its point where “[they] are able to communicate pretty well, and trust each other while playing.” She explained that the entire team had similar goals of moving up to the top, and growing closer bonds with each other off the field would be an advantage on the field. No matter the opposing teams, these girls are ready to reach their full potential and continue to play hard for future Warrior wins.