Warriors Struggle Against Vikings

Tiffany Chen, Staff Writer

Girl’s Varsity Soccer went head to head against Santa Monica High on Wednesday, December 7th, during their home opener game. The Varsity team had two strong seasons, winning the CIF title in 2014 and 2015, and is hoping to reclaim the title back this season.

The game kicked off with Santa Monica having control of the ball. Shortly after kickoff, Santa Monica struggled with the ball possession at first, but fought back. Ultimately, the first half ended with Santa Monica in the lead, the score being 1-0.

During the second half, West redeemed themselves, with scoring a goal making the score 1-1. Unfortunately, Santa Monica eventually scored two more goals, making the final score 3-1.

Kimmy Butland (12) was not disgruntled by the loss and remarked, “At the end of the game, we all tried our best. We knew before coming into the game, it was going to be tough. All the schools want that title so there’s no easy way out.”

Kayla Cannon (12) said, “I’m sad that we lost our first home game, but we have a lot of opportunities to redeem ourselves.” When asked about how she felt on winning another CIF title she stated, “Since it’s my final year of high school soccer it would be great to win. Everyone is chasing after the title but I know that we can get it.”

Similarly Jessica Goucher (11) said, “It’s too bad that we lost this game, but I know that we can do better. We just need to continue focusing and practicing. West has a strong winning record”.

Come support West against Narbonne on December 10th at 8 AM in Harbor City, and against Marymount at 2 PM at home.