Girls Tennis Gaining Ground

Lili Georges, Staff Writer

This past Thursday, West Tennis beat North High 13-5. The team, ranked number 5 in the South Bay, are becoming a force to be reckoned with this upcoming season.

Last year, the girls team broke through to CIF semifinals. Hoping to go even further this season, West has been practicing nonstop to perfect their game and beat rivals such as South High School.

Doubles partners Sarah Staffieri (12) and Samantha Lao (12) swept all three rounds, giving West a boost in coming out on top against North. West captain Staffieri was ecstatic about her team’s win this past week, explaining that, “Every player on the team has worked hard to contribute to our team’s success.”

In addition, freshman Mia Kobayashi (9) and Ruchi Shetti (9), won all three of their doubles rounds against North. It being her first year at West, Shetti describes how valuable it is to be on the team, because, “…they are so supportive, and no matter what happens they’ll always be there for you.” She explained how the relationship between her teammates goes beyond the court, since everyone, “… treats each other like friends and family.”

West was still tested during the game, despite overall success. North’s number one varsity singles player won against West’s singles players, leaving West determined to make up for their loss. Erena Yoshida (11) describes that many of the issues she faced this past week were mental, saying she struggled with, “…placement over power.” Even so, she still believes that West has the capability to go far this season, and that she can’t wait to see the achievements the team, “…will conquer together.”

West Tennis is facing South High School this upcoming Thursday. Make sure to go out and support their hard work!