The Los Angeles Kings Advance to the Stanley Cup

On Sunday June 1, 2014, the Los Angeles Kings took on the Chicago Blackhawks in game 7 of the Western Conference Finals. The 7 game series was tied at record of 3 and 3 for both teams. The team that won game 7 would win the Western Conference Finals and advance to the Stanley Cup. “[The game] was close. [The Kings] were losing at first and then they caught up and won,” said Kyle Chang (11). After a long and tough game, the Kings proved their strength when they beat the Blackhawks with a final score of 5-4.

After the first period, the Kings were already down with a score of 3-2. The Kings retaliated in the second period and tied the game 3-3. The Blackhawks quickly regained their lead when Patrick Sharp scored goal number 4 to put the Blackhawks back on top. The Kings then entered the third period trailing the Blackhawks 4-3. With a little over 7 minutes left of regulation time, the Kings were able to score the tying goal. Dustin Brown took a hard shot on Chicago’s net and then teammate  Marian Gaborik buried the rebound. When regulation time ended overtime came. In the first overtime period Alec Martinez scored the Kings’ fifth goal and sent the team to the Stanley Cup. The Kings’ resilience and ability to win in overtime of game 7 of the Western Conference Finals “showed that the team does not give up,” said Samantha Vircic (11). The last game of the series proved to be very exciting and it was not easy for either team to win. Nick Schneider (11) commented that game 7  “was a great game to end the series with. It was a great spirit for LA and got them hyped up.”

The Kings now prepare to take on their next obstacle, The Stanley Cup. They will face the winner of the Eastern Conference Finals. The Kings will take on the New York Rangers Wednesday night in game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final at the Staples Center.