The highly coveted Oscar trophies illuminate on the display ahead of the 96th Academy Awards. This year, late-night comedian Jimmy Kimmel reprised his role as host.
The 2024 Oscars: A Bold Year for Film
Anthony Parker, Entertainment & News Editor • March 28, 2024
In a surprising move to many, West Capitaneus, the school yearbook publication, will be discontinuing the popular, longstanding tradition of senior quotes. Citing logistical concerns, the West High administration has maintained this restriction, prompting petition by nearly a quarter of the student body.
Say Goodbye to Senior Quotes
Cyrilla Zhang, Editor-in-Chief • March 21, 2024

2014 Boy Soccer CIF Playoffs: Round One

On Thursday, February 20th, the boys’ varsity soccer team played their first game of the CIF Playoffs. The game took place on Warrior territory and anxious fans rallied together to cheer on their team as they battled the Long Beach Jordan Panthers for the first round. 
   The Warriors worked hard and persevered in order to take second place in Bay League. The Warriors knew the game against Long Beach would also be a tough match. “Going into the playoffs, we expect teams to be the best of the best,” said Josh Williams (11), the center defender for West. Leading up to the game, the Panthers were on a 10 game winning streak, preparing the Warriors for this intense battle. 

The Warriors worked together to play the game to the best of their ability after they started the game off slow. “We realized that we were getting beat by a team a lot weaker then us. Once we started to pick up the intensity, we started to control the game,” said Joseph Barakat (12), the attacking midfielder and forward for West.

Playoff games prove to be more intense because there is more at stake compared to a regular season game. According to the goalkeeper, Denver Silverlake (10), the game, “was intense. Both crowds were cheering which made the game that much more crazy. We were pretty shaky at first, but we really got the flow of the game going which allowed us to have some scoring opportunities.” After a tough first and second half, the game went into overtime. The Warriors finished the game with a 1-0 victory. 
   This first win for the Warriors brought them even closer to the final round of the CIF Playoffs. The Warriors prepare to face their next obstacle: round two of the Playoffs against Loyola.