Ballin’ Senior Night For Girls Varsity

On Tuesday, February 11th, West High Girl’s basketball said goodbye to the seniors and the season as they played Leuzinger on Warrior grounds. As the night rolled along, the girls and  Leuzinger dribbled past the opposing team and won by 18 points. After halftime with a close score, lady Warriors pushed even harder to defeat the opposing team.

Not only did the girls win their last home game at W est, but they also celebrated with Senior Night. Most sports dedicate the last home game of the season to the departing seniors and with the help of some parents, coaches, and teammates, the Seniors said goodbye in a memorable fashion. Posters hung high on the walls displaying “Class of 2014” and “We Love Our Seniors.” With only two Seniors on the girls’ varsity team, they were each called up to receive their leis and framed jerseys. Amie Nelson (12), after the bittersweet night commented, “Senior night will always be a night I remember. It was amazing. I really enjoy being part of this team; it’s like my second family.” Parents, friends, and students cheered from the stands. Kayli Imoto (12) said, “I am so lucky and thankful that all the parents and my teammates made it such a great experience, and something that I will never forget.”

The night was full of fun festivities as well as a great win. Sadly, the season is coming to a close end with only one more game at Peninsula. As for the season, Dakota Jones (10) commented, “We work together no matter what and are always focused on our bigger goal: defending our league title and going after bigger championships.” Nothing is stopping the Girl’s Basketball Team, and this season has shown some great wins as well as close defeats. But this year, Girl’s Varsity is ranked 20th in the State of California and top 40 in the nation. It is something to definitely be proud of and another reason to show our Warrior Pride. Hayley Tanabe (10) stated, “All the hard work we had put in during off season is finally paying off. We have so much talent on this team and every girl plays a key role in the team’s success.”

South Bay League is coming to an end, and playoffs are just around the corner. With hopes of going all the way, the Girls Basketball Team is practicing hard and stands ready for the road ahead.