The highly coveted Oscar trophies illuminate on the display ahead of the 96th Academy Awards. This year, late-night comedian Jimmy Kimmel reprised his role as host.
The 2024 Oscars: A Bold Year for Film
Anthony Parker, Entertainment & News Editor • March 28, 2024

Lady Warriors Dominate Tournament

The West High Girls Varsity Soccer team played in the San Pedro Ladies Pirate tournament on Friday, January 6th and Saturday, January 7th. The first game was against Palisades High ending with a 5-0 win. The second game was against Archer and the girls won 7-0. The Semi Finals game was against Bishop Montgomery with a 1-0 win. The Finals game was against Redondo and the team won in penalty kicks 3-2.

The games were filled with exciting plays and the girls really worked together and bring home the championship. While playing against Archer Mackenzie Mullen (12) states that her favorite play was when “Lauren Kai (10) won a ball in the midfield and fed Ashley Kawaski (12) a perfect through ball which put her on the run for a breakaway and a goal!” In this gameKawasaki scored a “hat trick”.

About the Finals game Karlee Neer (10) stated, “We knew that [the] match was going to be the biggest game so far. Both teams came out on fire and it was just a battle the [entire] time.” West High scored the first goal, but later Redondo tied up the game. The game went into penalty kicks and according to Neer, “our keepers had three great saves and they were amazing.” Neer had the fortunate opportunity of having the last penalty kick. Through the stress and pressure she scored, winning the championship for her team. She reveals, “I was the lucky kid who took the last penalty kick, so it was a pretty exciting weekend.”

The team so far has had a great season, and is pumped for the upcoming games. The girls will continue to practice this week and work together to build their team. Keep an eye out for these girls as they are sure to keep impressing the crowd.