Summer Sports Training

While many students at West High enjoyed their break, athletes preparing for their upcoming fall seasons are already working hard at West in order to keep their bodies in shape and become mentally focused for the long season that lies ahead.  By practicing in the summer, these athletes are able to minimize the number of problems that could result in the fall such as injuries and dysfunctional teammates.

According to volleyball player Taylor Adams (11), preseason training is very effective. She claims that “[It is] not really possible for us, or anyone for that matter, to be a successful team without getting a lot of repetition.” If the team had taken the entire summer break off, they would have to work much harder in the fall to reach their full potential. Every team wants to achieve their goals this coming year, yet this goal will not come true by slacking off.

Though the players have to work hard, it is the responsibility of the coaching staff to help the team perform to its fullest. Adams mentioned that “The coaching staff has a lot of impact on how well a sports team does.” In addition, Adams mentioned that the volleyball teams “were having trouble finding coaches for [our] junior varsity squad and freshmen/sophomore [team]. But now [I think] that we have a solid junior varsity coach [and] he is a good coach.”

Though the practices were strenuous, the hours were not long for the athletes and this allowed them to enjoy their fun in the sun. However, the enjoyment decreases during hell week, which include two practices in one day that occur during the final two weeks of summer. Adams stated that the volleyball practices were “two hours a day, Monday through Friday, but for double days we are practicing five hours a day Monday through Friday.”

Furthermore, the summer training allows the teams to get to know each other and bond before the school year begins. It is very important for teams to bond with one another so that they can play their best. In addition, Adams stated that the freshmen, junior varsity, and varsity each “have a solid team, [but] we are still trying to adjust for the season.”

This year should be a strong one according to the work the athletes have put in for the past few months. They have been out there working hard in the hot sun in order for this season to be great.