Girls Varsity Basketball Shows North What They Have to Offer

On Tuesday, November 23rd the West High Warriors girls’ varsity basketball team played preseason against North High in the gym. Having eight returning Varsity members was definitely an advantage as they could use their experience to start off strong. With this being their first game against another school, the girls got a chance to see how they may fare this season.

After weeks of conditioning and practicing the girls put up a great effort against the North High Saxon’s and ultimately won the game 42-40. Although there is always room for improvement, the squad had a fantastic display of their ability and the outlook for the season looks bright. Sydney Chase (10) recognized, “We could improve by running better offense and playing better defense.” With time before the season starts, the team should be prepared to face even the most talented teams and put up a good fight they can be proud of.

Although this game does not count for their season, it showed how well this group works together and always does their best. Nicole Nitake (11) played hard and commented, “The team played really well, especially since we came out on top.” The chemistry throughout the team can be seen as they all seem to know each others strength and weaknesses and play to their best abilities.

Captains Eryn Olson (11), Kelsey Ishigo (12), and Lindsay Kusumoto (12) led the group well and showed leadership as well as performance on the court. Hopefully with their and Coach Caporaso’s help, the team can stay consistent throughout the season. Judging by their match, these girls will be playing their best and have no regrets.