Girls Varsity Basketball Goes Into the Season with High Hopes

The girls’ varsity basketball team works hard everyday to prepare for the tough season ahead of them. From 2:30 pm to 5:00 pm, these determined players practice with the motivation of Coach Caporaso in order to do their best in the coming months. There is a completely new feeling this year as the line up looking strong for the West High Warriors.
   The squad has high hopes for the winter season, with eight returning varsity members this year, Captain Eryn Olson (11) notes, “They bring experience and leadership.” The two other captains, Kelsey Ishigo (12) and Lindsay Kusumoto (12), are guiding the team so they can do their best and ultimately dominate their competition.
   Preparing for such a demanding sport may seem like a hard task, but this group is doing their best. During practice the team works on drills and shooting under the close eye of their coach. With all the hours spent practicing it seems like the group would be ready to take on the season, but Shontalene Trudeau (11) adds, “[We still need] a lot of conditioning and weight lifting.”
   Compared to last year, this team seems to have stepped up their game. New varsity athlete Sydney Chase (10) mentions, “[The team] has surprised me on how much harder they’re working this year.” In order to stay consistently strong throughout the season, the group needs to keep their heads held high and not get discouraged after losing.
   If the team stays motivated, this season seems to have a great outlook. With two breaks in the middle of their season the team will need to stay concentrated in order to prevail and have a successful year.