The highly coveted Oscar trophies illuminate on the display ahead of the 96th Academy Awards. This year, late-night comedian Jimmy Kimmel reprised his role as host.
The 2024 Oscars: A Bold Year for Film
Anthony Parker, Entertainment & News Editor • March 28, 2024
In a surprising move to many, West Capitaneus, the school yearbook publication, will be discontinuing the popular, longstanding tradition of senior quotes. Citing logistical concerns, the West High administration has maintained this restriction, prompting petition by nearly a quarter of the student body.
Say Goodbye to Senior Quotes
Cyrilla Zhang, Editor-in-Chief • March 21, 2024

Football Season Comes to a Close

Warriors share their thoughts and plans for the future.

After a season in which several key players were injured and playoff hopes were crushed, the Varsity Football team received its final curtain call. The Warriors finished with a record of three wins and seven losses and had a Bay League conference record of two wins and three losses. Despite this, Weak- Side Linebacker August Glover (12) praised his peers because “[they] never gave up. Even though we were not going to the playoffs, we still fought hard for the last two wins [against Peninsula and Leuzinger.]” He added that the team could potentially have a chance to win the Bay League next year “if [they] work extremely hard in the offseason and are dedicated to becoming better.”

Defensive End Terrance Haynes (12) thought the strength of the squad was that they “had very good chemistry with [one another].” When asked about his best memories as a player for the Warriors, he replied, “Wearing [the West High] jersey, supporting [the] school, winning games, and Friday Night Lights [were special to me].” Quarterback Austin Watters (12) was also rather nostalgic about the great memories that he had as a four year player for West High. “The relationships you build with everyone, where the drums [are beating], walking onto the field, and seeing the lights, nothing beats [it].”

Furthermore, Watters believed that “there were regrets about the season because we were a better than [the effort we gave], but I would not change anything besides the record because the memories were un-forgettable. We stayed together through the ‘ups’ and ‘downs’ and [there is now] brotherhood amongst us all.” These Warriors will be greatly missed for their contributions to their team.

As these the returning players prepare for next season, they look forward to success in the future as Backup Quarterback Joey Notch (10) is set to become the starting quarterback and several members of the Varsity squad are expected to return. Notch expects next year’s lineup will “be experienced and ready to play.” He also declared “[We] will be a contender next year.” He [personally] hopes “to be a leader and [help the team realize its goals].”

As the seniors end their careers as among West’s finest, the amount of work that remains ahead for next year has just begun.