Have you registered or pre-registered to vote?

In a surprising move to many, West Capitaneus, the school yearbook publication, will be discontinuing the popular, longstanding tradition of senior quotes. Citing logistical concerns, the West High administration has maintained this restriction, prompting petition by nearly a quarter of the student body.
Say Goodbye to Senior Quotes
Cyrilla Zhang, Editor-in-Chief • March 21, 2024
Thursday, Oct. 5’s theme was Mathletes or Athletes, where students choose to dress up as one of the two subjects. Students in Mr. Collin’s AP Biology class sported their unique choices of attire. From left to right: Leah Ho (11), Gabriel White (11), and Mackenzie Ashford (11).
Get Ready for Some School Spirit!
Joshua Lee, Staff Writer • March 21, 2024

West Topples North

The West High Warriors played the North High Saxons on October 9th, at a near-full West High stadium.

West took possession of the ball first, and the Warriors began the game strongly, with a touchdown scored by Kyle Slowey (12) within the first four minutes of the first quarter, giving West the lead with 7-0.   This was the only score of the half, as though there were several outstanding plays, neither the Warriors nor Saxons were able to score during the rest of the first half of this game.

The West High Entertainment Unit presented its field performance, “Ragtime,” during halftime, and its award-winning show thoroughly entertained the audience.

Just over seven minutes into the third quarter, the Warriors kicked a thirty yard field goal, bringing the score to 10-0, with West in the lead.  When North took over the ball, they managed to move it to within field goal range through several plays.  With just over two minutes left in the third quarter, North scored a twenty-nine yard field goal, and the quarter ended 10-3.

The fourth quarter was intense for both sides, as North worked desperately to tie the game, and West to secure a win.  A momentous play of this quarter was an interception at the fifty yard line towards the end of the game by West High.  This caused the Warriors to regain the ball, which they moved forty-eight yards to nearly score before the clock ran out.  The Warriors are now (4, 1) in their season.  Matthew Larson (11) says the Warriors have concentrated on improving since their loss to South High.  “[We’ve done a lot of] hard work.  We’ve been practicing hard.”  With regard to the game to be played on October 16th against the Mira Costa Mustangs, he says, “[We will] work as hard as we can, and do the best we can.”